Taking the lead, being the first.
Magnetic Resonance Guided Focused Ultrasound
- This is outpatient treatment and requires no surgery, no hospitalization.
- Not just minimally invasive, it’s non-invasive.
- Patients go home the same day and are back to normal activities in a day or two.
This new and effective treatment at the OhioHealth Fibroid Center of Excellence uses energy from focused ultrasound waves that go through the abdominal wall, target the fibroid and destroy the fibroid tissue. No surgical incisions are needed.
How it works
- Using magnetic resonance imaging, the location and size of the fibroid is determined.
- Then, focused ultrasound waves are transmitted through the abdomen and targeted directly on the fibroid.
- The targeted spot is heated by the energy of the ultrasound wave for approximately 20 seconds.
- During the heating process, the physician monitors real-time magnetic resonance images of the fibroid to determine how much heat the fibroid tissue is receiving.
- This process is repeated until the targeted tissue is sufficiently treated.
Watch this video to understand more about how this non-invasive therapy works ‒ and what to expect during the treatment.
Multi-disciplinary expertise and state of the art technology
The OhioHealth Fibroid Center of Excellence offers a complete program of the latest in medical technology, designed to provide the maximum effect with minimum discomfort in the treatment of fibroids.
We offer a full range of fibroid treatments that include:
- Uterine ablation and embolization techniques to treat bleeding
- Myomectomy: removal of only the fibroid, leaving the uterus intact
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy: a quick outpatient procedure that shaves down the fibroid
- Minimally invasive hysterectomy: surgical remove of the uterus with state-of-the-art laproscopic or robotic surgery
- Magnetic Resonance Guided Focused Ultrasound: a state-of-the-art, noninvasive fibroid treatment
- Alternative remedies, such as birth control pills or GnRH agonists, treating only the symptoms, not the fibroids themselves
To provide even more access to screening mammography in Delaware County, OhioHealth recently opened a new digital mammography location in Lewis Center.
Many women don’t even know what fibroids are, let alone when they have them. Experts at OhioHealth - Dr. Jones and Dr. Dolen – explain how to identify fibroids and what to do about them.
View All Articles
Sometimes, it’s hard to tell whether or not it’s all in your head. Take one of
our health assessments to decide if it’s time to call the doctor.
Health Screening Guidelines
Connect with a doctor that is just right for you.
CLASSES & EVENTS
Take control of your health by making educated decisions. Our classes and events give you the information you need on your terms.
A wealth of support and information, right where you live.